Step by Step Nonimmigrant Visa Process
To apply for a non-immigrant visa, follow these steps:
1. Complete the DS-160 Visa Application Form
Using a computer with a printer, complete and submit the online DS-160 visa application form here (https://ceac.state.gov/genniv/), and print the confirmation page with the bar code to bring to your visa interview. Each traveler must complete a DS-160 form.
2. Register in the U.S. Visa Information Service Web Site
Register online here (http://uruguay.usvisa-info.com). Each traveler must register.
3. Pay the Visa Application Fee
You can pay online using an international Visa or MasterCard credit card, or you can download and print a payment slip and pay the visa application fee at any Abitab location.
You must bring the payment slip from the U.S. Visa Information website with you to Abitab. Each applicant must have their own separate payment slip. Applicants will receive a receipt.
4. Schedule a Visa Interview Appointment
Schedule an appointment for a visa interview online here. If you pay by credit card, you can schedule your interview immediately after paying. If you pay at Abitab, you must wait one business day after you have paid your visa fee before scheduling the appointment by returning to the registration site (http://uruguay.usvisa-info.com) and entering your PIN or by calling (598) 2707-6507 from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m., Monday through Friday, except on Uruguayan and U.S. holidays.
Applicants currently in the United States, as well as family members and associates, may reach the call center at 703-439-2333, Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Eastern Time.
Please Note: Some applicants may qualify for a waiver of the Visa Interview. Visit our Personal Appearance Waiver Program page to see if you qualify.
5. Select a DHL location to pick up your Passport
When you schedule your appointment, either online or by telephone, you will select the DHL location where you would like to pick up your passport if the visa is approved.
- Carrasco: Av. De las Americas 7777
- Ciudad Vieja: Juan Carlos Gómez 1447
- Montevideo Shopping: Av. Luis A de Herrera 1290, Service Hall, L 8
- Punta del Este: Av. Gorlero y Calle 21, “El Monarca” L 5 Attend your visa interview
6. Attend your Visa Interview
Documents required for the interview:
- Valid passport and your previous passport (especially if you have a prior US visas or travel).
- Identity card (or another proof of identity with a photograph).
- DS-160 Visa Confirmation Sheet.
- One photograph size 5x5 cm (taken within the last six months, in color, facing forward, with a white background). See Photo Guidelines for more information.
- Marriage Certificate (for some dependent visas classes).
- Birth Certificate (for some dependent visas classes).
7. Pick up your Passport with Visa
The Consular Officer will tell you if your visa has been approved at the end of your interview. If approved, your passport will be retained to place the visa inside. Passports with visas are normally delivered within three business days to DHL. If the visa is approved, you will receive an email notifying you when you can pick up your passport at the DHL location you selected.
There is no charge to pick up your passport at DHL. We are not able to offer home delivery of passports at this time.
Posted March 5, 2015
Applicants under the age of 14 or over the age of 80 do not generally have to physically appear at the visa interview. Parents may conduct interviews on behalf of their children.
We recommend not bringing small children to the visa interview. If you come to the interview on behalf of a child under 14, we ask that you bring your government identification card (cédula).
A direct family member may accompany the applicant to the interview. Please see the Personal Appearance Waiver Program information to see if applicants under 14 and over 80 qualify for the program.